Will my old scanner work?????

Discuss anything you wish here

Will my old scanner work?????

Postby Libasee » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I have a scanner that must be about 25 years old, tucked away in a drawer someplace. Does anyone else have one of these oldies and does it still work? I recall that it had some kind of battery or something that was quite expensive to replace.
Some might call people like me "nosey" but actually I'm just curious. I'm sure that all you other folks listening to the scanner know what I'm talking about.
Random avatar
Libasee

Online: 46m 50s

Re: Will my old scanner work?????

Postby London-Dad » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:33 pm

It should. If you need help setting it up let me know.
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online: 396d 12h 42m 7s

Postby skutter2001 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:17 pm

yes it will,i have a few oldies that pick up quite well,some cb ,st thomas cops,kelloggs etc
skutter2001

Online: 4d 11h 8m 37s

Postby Mux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 am

Will not work for London Police (no scanner or computer can decode them due to encryption) London Fire is P25 so would have to upgrade to a scanner that supports P25 digital trunking (aka APCO25)
OPP, MTO Enforcement, MNR are P25 aswell. Paramedics, and the jails are not digital but need a Trunk Tracking scanner to recive them

IF its just a plain jane nothing special no trunking (would say trunk tracker on the scanner someplace) then here is what you can listen to around middlesex/elgin

Middlesex County Fire Depts and Strathroy/Melbourne/Mt Brydges Fire
Cab companies in the city
JLC Security
All the mall security
Victoria/UH hospital security and maintenance
Kellogs
Airport
Ross Towing (City wide is on the motorola type2 trunked system)
Ham radio stuff
There are 5 corrections channels that are used for portable radio to portable radio chat. Always active from EMDC
5 EMS repeater channels (same thing you would hear on the trunked fleetnet system)
3 OPP repeater channels
1 MTO repeater channel
1 MNR repeater channel
2 Air EMS (the 2 helicopter units and the air planes use)

With the EMS/OPP/MNR/MTO repeaters you will only hear them when you are close to one of the EMS or police cars. The repeaters are short range to transmit the stuff from the radio in the car to their portables, and from the portables back to the car so they have short range. And wont ALWAYS hear them if they dont have their portable on and repeater activated

Stuff in Elgin County
Elgin/St Thomas Fire depts
St.Thomas Police and thats about it for there

Only thing to listen to in strathroy area is fire, police and public works are encrypted

Let me know what type of scanner you have and i can help you OR ANYONE for that matter set things up and make sure youv got the right gear for what you want to listen to
The Mux
Hello :)
Mux

Online: 11m 9s

Postby magpupu2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:15 am

what are the OPP repeater frequencies?
Random avatar
magpupu2

Online: 7m 1s

Postby skutter2001 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm

At one time your able to pick up a lot of Opp transmissions on the older analogue scanners but they have converted their signal to digital which now makes it impossible to pick up on the older scanners.You could buy a digital scanner but they are expensive,I myself have an older Realistic scanner,its a Pro-2006 which in its day was a top of the line 400 channel scanner in the nineties,today I can still pick up activity on it but not any OPP or London police who have also gone the way of digital transmission.
skutter2001

Online: 4d 11h 8m 37s

Postby ve3jqr » Sun May 26, 2013 1:50 am

Just a Note about OPP Scanners - Yes the system is on Fleetnet, and thus you need to use a newer scanner. But if you are wanting to hear local activity, i would suggest listening to the Mobile Repeater frequencies. They are still analog and have quite a range. Norfolk County runs on 413.537MHZ and Haldimand County runs on 410.8625MHZ. They are pretty much county wide. They also may be listed as "Beat" repeaters. PM me for a list of frequencies, or try Login or Register for the link
ve3jqr

Online: 19m 20s

Return to London Talk