Police have no one to send

Discuss anything you wish here

Police have no one to send

Postby dodgeboy » Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 pm

It seems more and more EMS in London is dispatched to a call that should have police attend and there is no officer available and no time given as to when there may be.This makes for a tough call for EMS make a patient wait or take a chance and enter the scene.Good job on the millions spent renovating police headquarters. :?:
dodgeboy

Online: 10d 18h 1m 5s

Re: Police have no one to send

Postby London-Dad » Sun May 29, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, I have noticed that too.
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online: 396d 13h 18m 14s

Postby buster01 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:01 am

People take advantage of both police and ambulance services because they are free. Police are being dispatched to barking dog complains, raccoons in the back yard, custody disputes (people looking for free legal advice), parents wanting police to raise their children for them, cars that run out of gas! 911 hang-ups and false alarms are two of the worst wasters of resources.
Ambulances are being used as a taxi service. I overheard a dispatch to a man complaining of a sore toe.... People think if they go to hospital by ambulance they will be seen immediately.
They can't refuse service or they risk being sued.
Fire services are sent to unnecessary calls like minor traffic accidents and false alarms that one person could check out but everything has to go!
It's like the hospital emergency and doctors offices. Free services that are grossly misused.
Call takers for emergency services should be able to say "NO" That is not a police matter, "NO" we will not send an ambulance to give you a ride and "NO" a fire truck is not required because you blew a rad hose.
Emergency services are stretched to the max because of abuse. That's why there's no one to send! People have become spoiled and want everything done for them so they don't have to take responsibility. Something's got to give.
Random avatar
buster01

Online: 0s

Postby London-Dad » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:26 pm

I am starting to think this is becoming a serious issue. What do you think?
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online: 396d 13h 18m 14s

Postby buster01 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 am

Sure it's a serious issue.
Have you ever been in a hospital emergency waiting room and seen the number of "non-emergent" cases they have to deal with or overheard police calls about barking dogs or loud music in the middle of the day? Sure I can understand if the neighbours dog is barking outside your bedroom window at 3 in the morning AND you've called them to let them know it is disturbing you then maybe you have to take it a step further. So many people want emergency services to handle their complaints without them at least trying to resolve it themselves or don't want to get involved.
I know a person who's attitude is "Pump my own gas? They pay people to do that!"
Random avatar
buster01

Postby CanWoodsman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:48 am

buster01 wrote:Sure it's a serious issue.
cases they have to deal with or overheard police calls about barking dogs or loud music in the middle of the day? Sure I can understand if the neighbours dog is barking outside your bedroom window at 3 in the morning AND you've called them to let them know it is disturbing you then maybe you have to take it a step further.

Ever think some don't have the benefit of working 9 to 5.
For someone on midnights 3 in the afternoon may very well be their prime sleeping time.
CanWoodsman

Postby CanWoodsman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 am

buster01 wrote:People take advantage of both police and ambulance services because they are free.

Since when are Ambulances free?
Someone pays. Either the patient or some forum of insurance (car or possibly a extended healthcare plan at work). No freebee's for ambulances although for emergency transportation the fee's do not cover the total costs.
Non emergency transportation is billed at a quite higher rate which is a big reason patient transfer companies have been created.
The biggest problem with ambulances is the lengthy off load times at the hospitals where they could be of better use responding to or being available to respond to calls.
Last edited by CanWoodsman on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanWoodsman

Postby buster01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 am

"Since when are Ambulances free?"

The post is about having no one to send to emergencies. Do you think $40.00 covers the cost of the crew, truck and equipment?
Maybe you should consider insurance.
Random avatar
buster01

Postby CanWoodsman » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:05 am

buster01 I was editing my post when you responded.
I agree $40 does not cover all the costs but it's still not free.
CanWoodsman

Postby buster01 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:17 am

I stand corrected.
Random avatar
buster01

Postby SClark » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm

CanWoodsman wrote:
cases they have to deal with or overheard police calls about barking dogs or loud music in the middle of the day? Sure I can understand if the neighbours dog is barking outside your bedroom window at 3 in the morning AND you've called them to let them know it is disturbing you then maybe you have to take it a step further.

For someone on midnights 3 in the afternoon may very well be their prime sleeping time.

And that's the reason the city has a 24 hour noise bylaw.
SClark

Online: 3d 15h 42m 8s

Postby dcm997 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:22 am

SClark wrote:
CanWoodsman wrote:

And that's the reason the city has a 24 hour noise bylaw.

Recent video of the constable sound asleep in her cruiser might just be why they have no one to send.
Random avatar
dcm997

Online: 991d 30m 40s

Postby buster01 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:37 am

Recent video of the constable sound asleep in her cruiser might just be why they have no one to send.

Obviously by someone who has never worked shift work.
Random avatar
buster01

Postby dcm997 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:58 am

buster01 wrote:Recent video of the constable sound asleep in her cruiser might just be why they have no one to send.

Obviously by someone who has never worked shift work.

Not so, I work 12 hour shifts, rotating day and night. I sleep at home, and work at work.
Random avatar
dcm997

Online: 991d 30m 40s

Return to London Talk