London Fire/Police+Scanner

Discuss anything you wish here

London Fire/Police+Scanner

Postby Mux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 am

SO! Been readin some posts from people and such. Figured id make a little note about the city of londons radio system

If you want to listen to London Fire you will NEED a APCO25 AKA P25 digital scanner. If it dont say APCO25/P25 or Digital Trunking Scanner SOMEPLACE on the box or scanner itself.. it most likly wont decode the P25 system
London Police.. No chance of ever listning to them. EVER. They have been encrypted since the mid 90's and never will be unencrypted. No matter what anybody says.. Its just not going to happen and nothing can decode it. Even if you spent the 3000$ on the same radio they have and got it programmed with the same talkgroups your still not going to get them. So now that THAT is out of the way..

Thames EMS. Just need yourself a trunk tracking scanner and your set for them. Always always busy with calls nonstop.
OPP/MTO/MNR you need the P25 scanner again. They use a ontario wide radio system called Fleetnet that is VHF. (The London P25 system is 7/800mhz)

There are a few ways you can cheat and hear OPP/MNR/MTO. They have these things in their cars (and the EMS trucks) called repeaters. They rebrodcast what comes over the radio (P25 or not) repeats what was said in analog mode (so any scanner even a 30 year old one can listen) repeats the transmission in analog mode to the officers/medics portable radio. Point of the repeater is to give range for their portables to talk back to the car/truck.
If you are close to a EMS/OPP/MTO/MNR car and they have their portable radio on you can hear the same stuff you would hear on the P25 system without having a digital scanner. Down side is its close range.. maybe about 1-2km depending on your antenna and such. But if you live near the OPP detachment or a hospital your fine :D
Same with EMDC the jail you can hear the guards chit chatting

I made a post in another section about what you can and cant listen to around the London, Strathroy and Elgin area

Middlesex

County Fire VHF channels
London Fire (P25 system)
London EMS (trunked system)
OPP from Chatham-kent elgin and middlesex (trunked system and P25)
random cab companies UHF and VHF channels
victoria and university hospital security and cleaning staff UHF channels
White Oaks/Westmount/Masonville/Citi Plaza security and cleaning staff UHF channels
JLC ..errmm...budwiser gardens UHF channels
labatt brewery UHF chennels
kelloggs UHF channels
london airport fire/security UHF channels
ross towing VHF channel
London transit bus channel UHF
and thats just about all

Strathroy

Strathroy/melbourne/mt brydges fire VHF channels
Thats it. Just them

Elgin County

St.Thomas Police/Aylmer Police (they share the same VHF channel)
Elgin County Fire and St.Thomas Fire VHF channels
Format has trunked radio system that you can listen to.. not.. that interesting unless you work there

Things you cant listen to no matter what!
LONDON POLICE

Cant listen to these people with a scanner either because they use a encrypted type radio system scanners cant decode called TRBO (made by motorola)

UWO Police and other people on campus there. Security, SIRT foot patrol and so on
Fanshawe Special Constables and Security
Strathroy Police and Public works
Cox cab in st.thomas
JAAR construction
London transit inspectors

Think iv covered everything. Myself. I hardly even listen to OPP unless something CRAZY is going on. 95% of the time i just listen to london fire/middlesex and strathroy fire. the other 5% is EMS

Was some talk about London fire and their station and truck numbering. Alot of things have changed
Still have 14 stations
Perhaps soon to be 15

Car 1 is no longer at 1 company. They have moved to 2 company but are still called car 1. Drives the dispatches nuts
Car 2 is now at 6 company. They built a little bay for them. Why they didnt leave car 2 AT 2 company and move car 1 to 6 and call it car 6 like they did long time ago? beats me!

Ill list off whos at what station (feel free to correct any errors or blanks iv missed)

Station 1 HQ and dispatch center
Engine 1 (old truck has been replaced with a new one)
Hazmat
ResQ 1 (possibly may have or getting moved to 7 company)
Air/Lite pick up
Fire investigations van
Stores van

Station 2 (Also the mechanic and radio shop)
Engine 2
Truck 2 (just been fixed from a car crash from a month ago. They took engine 5's truck to use untill theirs was fixed)
Marine 2
Service 9
(spare trucks 20,21,22,23 and spare tanker are there

Station 3
Engine 3 (still the old truck waiting to be replaced
Marine 3

Station 4
oldest station in the city
Engine 4 has been replaced with a brand new truck

Station 5
Engine 5
Tanker 5

Station 6
Engine 6 (new truck)
Truck 6
Car 2

Station 7
Engine 7

Station 8
Engine 8 New truck

Station 9
Engine 9
Truck 9

Station 10
Joint EMS station
Engine 10

Station 11
Engine 11
Tanker 11 New tanker
Fire command trailer was there at one pointa

Station 12 Training division and backup dispatch center
Engine 12

Station 13
Engine 13 new truck

Station 14 Joint EMS station
Engine 14 new truck
The Mux
Hello :)
Mux

Online: 11m 9s

Re: London Fire/Police+Scanner

Postby London-Dad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:36 am

Great post! Lots of good info.
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Online: 396d 13h 38m 21s

Postby Mux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:07 am

Im a radio geek.. Im filled with info. If anyone needs to know anything just ask :)
Anything to do with radios lol and their systems they use, types of radios. who you can n cant listen to in ontario and the states
The Mux
Mux

Postby London-Dad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:18 am

You might be able to help me. I find fire drops transmissions on my scanner. I tried playing around with the decode settings (have set at 200 & 11) for the P25 system using a 396xt. What can I do to fix the problem?
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40 am

Drops how? And what site you have it on? My radios always stay on site one. Iv noticed that not EVERYTHING gets transmitted over the other 3 sites. They are the over flow kind of things and if no trucks are on that site it wont carry the transmissions over to them. So bets to always keep it on site 1 that way you dont miss anything

Just listening to a call and then POOF cuts off? Or listening and someone is talking, and then miss the next persons response kind of thing?

The delay setting could be it. Default i think is 2 seconds untill it starts scanning again. I use a PSR 500 and a PSR 600. Had a Uniden 396Xt and a homepatrol and the PSR800 at one point too.
I have the delay set to 0 on my one scanner for just fire.

You have all the voice channels in it? If it happens alot maybe one is miss typed or left out

Site 1 (Downtown 1 london place)
866.0875 Control Channel
866.2125 Control channel some times

Make sure youv got all them in. If all these settings are good and still missing this n that. Bad signal area. But i think it could be scanning the other 3 sites and just dont get back to the talkgroup thats active at the time. Or could be scanning other systems if youv got alot in there

Ah.. why not list the other sites. When i had my homepatrol and 396 i split up each site (this was when they were on the EDACS system) i split the sites up into their own system
Since fire ismy main thing to monitor i had Site 1 as Key bank 1. 2 as 2 and so on
That way i just could enable/dissable the other 3 sites if i didnt need them. Or if i was in a building and couldnt get site one but could get site 4 kind of thing

Site 2 Oxford/Clark Road EAST (Was Site-4 then when they went to P25 got changed to site 2)
866.1375 control channel
866.3875 also control sometimes

Site 3 TVO Tower WEST (Same tower the OPP and EMS use. Fleetnet tower the SUPER tall one you can see in byron)
866.4375 Control

Site 4 CFPL SOUTH
866.5500 Control
The Mux
Mux

Postby London-Dad » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 pm

I have only site 1 in there. Have all voice in properly. Scanner has a full 5 bars showing. Hear dispatch for maybe 3 seconds then drops and goes to an ems call. Then it will come back and sometimes drops again and sometimes does not drop.

Weather priority is off as well and do not have any priority channels on.
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:43 pm

Hmm.. Try only having fire the only thing scanning. Dissable/lock out ems so fire is the only thing scanning and see if it still does it

Is it ONLY fire this happens on? Or does it do it for EMS too.. Maybe try OPP since they are P25 too and see if it happens on them.
The London P25 system is different then any other P25 round ontario. Everyone uses the default bandplan of 25khz london is narrow band and uses 12.5khz spacing so maybe if there is a setting for that
Ill see if i can figure it out for you :)
The Mux
Mux

Postby Polkadeth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have no knowledge of scanners, etc. Can you listen to the Citi Plaza security and cleaner feeds online, or would you need a scanner of your own?
Thanks in advance!
Polkadeth

Online: 0s

Postby London-Dad » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:52 pm

You would need a scanner of your own.
Owner of London Scanner
London-Dad
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Polkadeth » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks! Much appreciated.
Polkadeth

Online: 0s

Postby fousehebert » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 pm

And that is presuming they actually have a frequency which you can pick up. Most smaller Companies will tie in with multiple others as they can't afford/don't need their own actual systems. Better question is why would you want to hear such a small scale operation? Different if it was Eaton Centre maybe but.................
fousehebert

Online: 727d 14h 28m 35s

Return to London Talk